The poor cat came home panting and frothing at the mouth
Wednesday 30 June, 2021
The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat died from suspected poisoning in Ponciau near Wrexham.
The cat came home on the evening of Thursday 24 June at around 8pm. The poor pet was panting and frothing at the mouth and sadly collapsed and died whilst the owner* was on the phone to the vets.
This has now been reported to the RSPCA and Inspector Jenny Anderton is investigating.
She said: “We received a report that a cat in Oak Road, Ponciau, had arrived home in a terrible state, panting and frothing at the mouth. As the cat was otherwise fit and healthy with no underlying health conditions, the owner of the cat believes they may have been poisoned or ingested a toxic substance. At this stage, we do not know if this was deliberate or an accident but there have been similar incidents in the area reported to us, including the owner’s previous cat, so we’re very keen to find out more information.
“If anyone witnessed anything suspicious in the area on 24 June please report this to the RSPCA’s inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018.”
The RSPCA would like to take the opportunity to remind the public to be vigilant and ensure any chemical spills are identified and cleared away immediately and that substances such as slug pellets are used appropriately.
Picture used for illustration only as there was no photo available and the cat guardian would like to remain anonymous.
Jenny added: “We would ask everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals and make sure they are secure and out of the way of cats. Making sure antifreeze lids are shut tightly or cleaning up any spillages may save an animal’s life.
“Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.”
The signs of poisoning can include one, or several of the following:
Seeming depressed or sleepy
Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should take them to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.
To help the RSPCA continue rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming animals in desperate need of care please visit our website or call our donation line on 0300 123 8181.